21-year-old photography student Laura Hospes has aspirations of having her art displayed in galleries one day, but that dream, she says was "cruelly pushed away" when she was recently hospitalized after a suicide attempt.
The pictures which are taken in black and white are quite haunting.
She's currently recovering from depression, anxiety, and eating disorders, she also created an intimate photo series—UCP-UMCG—named after the psychiatric unit in the Netherlands that she's presently admitted in. Her self-portraits explore what it's like to be a "girl, me, who is on the verge of death.
The emotions that I experienced in hospitalization were very overwhelming and intense and I hope you can see and feel that in my photos," she told Redbook.
She adds that she created this series to challenge the misleading notion that we should all pretend that our lives our perfect on social media.
"While photographing I discovered it was such a relief. I was able to cry, to be angry, to be terrified and everything around those feelings which I was unable to show in real life.
"By sharing the photos, family and friends could see how I felt. Of course it was very difficult to see me having a hard time, but at least they knew how I felt. I was able to be myself and felt less lonely because of that," she added.
Image Copyright: Laura Hospes
No comments:
Post a Comment