Friday, 23 January 2015

Nigerian author Chimamanda Adichie's book Americanah hits France

                                      View this content on FRANCE24's website


To promote the publication of “Americanah” in France, the renowned writer took part in a discussion about the book, as well as the subject of identity in literature, at the Maison de la Poésie in Paris on Wednesday January 21 . There was not an empty seat in the house.

Listed as one of the New York Time’s Ten Best Books of the Year and winner of the National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction, the novel has already sold 500,000 copies in the US and has been translated into 25 different languages.

One of the things Chimamanda told France 24 was :“I wasn’t black until I went to America. I became black in America. In Nigeria I didn’t think of myself as black. I think in Nigeria my identity markers were religion and ethnicity.It’s discovering that being black means something, and those things that blackness means are not often very positive things.”

Watch the video after the jump:



No comments:

Post a Comment